Notes From the Edge of a Continent

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Archives.2

Today I learned about cheap hotels.

Below is the Motel 6 where I'm staying in Lansing, MI.


When I arrived it was 34 degrees and sleeting.
Today it was 55 degrees and sunny.
Last night there were two Eaton County sheriff cars parked right here all night. I've already seen a DV (domestic violence) incident out in the parking lot, but I don't think the cops were here for them.
It makes me think of what it's like to be poor in a depressed state in a depressed economy.
At least I was smart (read: lucky) enough to get a GM rental car, so I don't feel outcasted too much.
In a couple weeks I'd like to take a trip to Detroit to observe and photograph the landscapes of a soon-to-be-post-industrial wasteland.
Don't worry I'll bring my S&W 357.

Below is one of Lansing's stalled development plots.
It reminds me of this passage from J.R.R. Tolkien's (1954) "The Two Towers," which I've been reading diligently in the evenings:
"[Gollum] led the way, and following him the hobbits climbed down into the gloom. It was not difficult, for the rift was at this point only some fifteen feet deep and about a dozen across." There was running water at the bottom: it was in fact the bed of one of the many small rivers that trickled down from the hills to feed the stagnant pools and mires beyond" (p. 252).



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home