Notes From the Edge of a Continent

Monday, November 27, 2006

Fathergirl XXX



The title of this post refers to an episode of the TV show Arrested Development, which I watched this Thanksgiving weekend with my friends Dave and Sarah Sandpiper in San Francisco. It was a welcomed slow-paced break from my life in L.A. - a life that had beheath my nose become increasingly hectic and pressing. It took a few days with the Sandpipers and thier 2-month old baby girl, Lily, to recalm my nerves before the end of the quarter at UCLA. The above photo is the view from the guest room where I stayed for the weekend. It reminded my a lot of Lecce, Italy, with the wires and whitewashed houses and the ocean (see below).



I learned a lot about "babiness" this weekend - how consuming and hard it is to basically keep a newborn alive and happy. If you're doing the first you're doing pretty well. If you're doing both you're rock stars. Dave and Sarah were definitely rock stars...Lily was attended to 24/7 with the utmost attention. It was my first glimpse into taking care of such a young person and the amount of energy and work it takes to recreate the womb experience for the baby. Previously I had always meshed together ideas of what it is to be a child. My meshings were so vague that before this weekend I really didn't know the difference between raising a 2-month old and a 2-year old. Now I know that the difference has a lot to do with how much down time the parents get. "Don't disturb a sleeping baby" is a maxim that has a whole new meaning to me now - those moments are invaluable to the sanity and peace of the parents!


Here's Dave and Lily...Fathergirl.


View of SF from the Marin headlands where we hiked around a bit and watched the hang gliders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home